
My friend Paula and I (a Wyominigite) spent two summers ago trying to make it to the Laramie rec Center. We heard there was a wave pool and/or lazy river, so several times (3? 4?) we attempted to go there. Every time, we were thwarted: bad weather, going at the wrong time, the pool being closed, etc.
Well, when I got to Mizzou, I found out that our rec center has both a wave pool and a lazy river. All last year, I tried to get someone to go with me to check it out, but no one was interested, and I thought I'd look sort of stupid being a sole grad student/instructor floating down the lazy river alone!
Alas, I have a new friend (she's new to the program this year), Joanna, who's up for almost anything. So--a couple nights ago, we finally made it to the lazy river/wave pool (otherwise known as the "tiger grotto.") And let me tell you, it was intense! The wave pool is more like a cyclone of some sort--it's basically this large, walled off, section of the pool where the water whips around in a circle. Joanna and I got in and then were carried away by the water! It was a huge workout just staying afloat. And then, once we got in, the water was moving so fast, we couldn't get out; it took three tries for me to make it out (until finally some Chinese girls offered me a hand.)
When Paula and I crafted the initial plan, I sort of imagined us lazily floating on tubes, drinking diet cokes and getting a sun tan. After an hour-and-a-half in the Tiger Grotto, I've been sore for two days.
No comments:
Post a Comment