Tuesday, November 2

sabbath

Yesterday, I was super crabby and tired--I didn't really want to talk to anyone or do anything (and I had two classes I had to go to and a million other things to do.) I couldn't figure it out--I'm usually really really laid back and easy going and fairly happy.

And then it hit me sometime last night. All semester, I've been taking a sabbath on Sundays (aka doing nothing school or work related and instead getting outside, reading good books, eating good food, talking to friends, etc). But this past Sunday, I couldn't make it happen; actually, just the opposite--I was in the car for several hours and then stayed up late finishing homework.

Of course, there could be other reasons I was tired, but I do think I had sort of an epiphany of how good taking a sabbath's been for me. It's like I've come to need/crave the space and when it was gone, I actually felt it. Who knew? When I started taking Sundays off, I could hardly make it through the day without feeling guilty I wasn't working.

I guess this story doesn't have much of a point beyond saying that I'm thinking a lot about rhythms these days--rhythms of the season, the day, the week--and I feel like I'm finally starting to find some sort of weekly rhythm for myself.

No comments: