
I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I miss the Wyoming weather.
I'm a warm weather person. My hands and feet turn blue and I get a rash on my hands and arms when it gets really cold. I really hate being cold and I always said I would move south. And actually, I have moved south several times: from northern Wisconsin (freezing!) to Illinois, to Colorado/Wyoming to Missouri.
But still, living in Missouri--the furthest south I've been, and right at the Mason Dixie line, I'm beginning to really miss Wyoming's unexpected fall snowstorms. There's something so beautiful to waking up to all sorts of snow falling around your bedroom window and seeing a light dusting of white all over the road and cars and trees and mountains. Even my 70 mile drive to school, straight through a mountain pass--as dangerous as it was--was stunning. And it felt real-er somehow than my life anywhere else. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, other than, perhaps, the fact that it was outside--really, beautifully, outside--and it was dangerous.
Perhaps it comes down to predictability. Missouri's very predictable weather-wise. So is Wisconsin. And Illinois. I think that's one of the things I liked most about Colorado and Wyoming; it was so unpredictable and it would change in an instant. Sun to snow to sun.
Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I miss the cold that the snow generally comes with, just the snow itself and the hot chocolate. And, as I write this, I'm suddenly having visions of myself walking over "the bridge" in college in winter in Northern Wisconsin feeling fairly certain I might die before I made it to class. I don't miss that, not by any means.
No comments:
Post a Comment