Saturday, November 22

dream deferred (or canceled)


So, since I was a kid, I used to say when I grew up (I suppose 27 is fairly grown up, right?) I would get a collie. We had friends who had a collie, Gadsten, and I was in love with him.

Well, this week, I've been watching my friend's dog (not the dog pictured, but looks pretty much the same--this is an internet photo.) Anyway, after sneezing uncontrollably every day, and last night waking up at 4am, hardly able to breathe through my swollen throat, I think border collies are out. (It turns out the dog had crawled into my bed--hence the especially bad breathing difficulties.)

I had no idea I was allergic to dogs. I don't seem to be allergic to my brother's boxer (which is a good thing), but I think it's the long hair--or maybe it was just the tipping point of being with this dog too long. I'm about to start watching a cat for a few weeks, and hoping, sincerely, that a similar allergic onslaught doesn't occur. I think I might have to go get some sort of medicine if it does.

I just dropped the dog off with a mutual friend; it's amazing, after a lifetime of thinking you want something, how quickly you can not want that thing at all.

Today's task: clean dog hair out of my car, off my furniture, my carpet. Oh man.

No comments: