I just discovered, or rediscovered I guess, this sweet group-- They're this division of YWAM called the factory. I was looking online for Piper sermons to send to a friend overseas, and stumbled upon this guy--Trent Shepherd. I made this instant connection. Smoky dark room, this band playing songs about dry bones dancing and prophesying--my freshmen year of college. We had heard this band back then, 100 hundred hours--and they were promoting this new thing they were thinking of starting for twenty somethings and college students and artists and business people--the factory. I can't tell you how or why I remembered this--but I have a vivid image of this guy calling out to the crowd in a loud voice, the words of Ezekial--"prophesy to the dry bones." His name was Tre Shepherd.
So, I listened to this sermon, by Trent Shepherd, and realized they weren't the same guy (like I first thought), but brothers--and Trent actually went to Wheaton, I think when I did. Anyway, I was listening and was just riveted and sort-of-woken up from something listening to this guy. He tells this story of all these people standing around this dying fish (he's running on the beach and sees this)--the huge fish is just dying in the middle of the crowd. Trent runs up, instantly starts ripping off his shoes and some other guy in the crowd follows suit, and then they're rolling the fish into the water, but it keeps turning back; it's been on shore for so long. So Trent pushes it out into the water and screams, "fish are suppossed to swim" or something like that and the fish actually swims away. Trent walks back to the crowd and this man says "I would have done something earlier if I hadn't been wearing shoes." The great thing--Trent doesn't overspiritualize this, he doesn't turn it into some grand metaphor. He simply says, "God wants us to be more human, not less."
I also knew this girl that went to the factory a long time ago; I'm just wondering, thinking about this, what happened to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment