Saturday, November 24

narnia

I'm totally lost in the chronicles of narnia (again)--lost being a good thing. I love these books! I have this strange habit of reading things over and over and over. I'm about the most non-ocd person I know (can't keep a checkbook straight) except when it comes to reading and movies...I just absolutely love reading the same book...again, catching all those subtle lines again, watching the movement of the plot as if I really don't know what happens, memorizing the whole thing. I'm always more likely to reread something I've read before then to pick up a new book...which is a problem. I have a HUGE reading list of the classics I'm trying to work through in order to take my GRE Lit Exam...in case I maybe, maybe, want to get a PhD. Who knows? I'm still caught between these professions of writing and youth ministry and international development. But instead of reading those books, I'm rereading things I've already read two or three (or honestly) twenty times. Terrible, huh?

Anyway, back to Narnia. It turns out that someone prophesied over me last year (well, more than once, actually--I was going to a church where this was a semi-regular occurrence)--well they prophesied that I was going to become like Lucy in the Chronicles of Narnia. I don't know if you, my loyal friends and reader, buy the idea of prophesy, or even what this means. But as I'm reading the book, I can't stop thinking about that idea of Lucy.

If nothing else, I'm seeing it all from a different perspective. Before this, I always seemed to think about things from Peter's eye. Something about jumping out of life and falling into this greater story is super appealing to me. Living as if there's this other world with all these crazy places and forces and talking animals. I'm wondering, as I read, as I always wonder, if this seems so appealing not because that world is an escape but because that world is more real than the world I usually live in.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

i can totally sympathize with your reading habits... i have to constantly force myself to read new books, books by different authors, books on subjects or about stories that i haven't read before. otherwise i end up reading the same ten or twenty books over and over again

good books are like old friends... sure, it's nice to meet new people every now and then, but you can't ever forget about the friends who have been with you for years and years

grubekl said...

All I can say is at least they didn't prophesy that you'd be like Susan and lose your way.

Indeed, we are considering moving (although we love our little nest - it's turning out rather nice after all the paint and updating we've been up to). I want to get my teaching degree and ship on out, and Chicago seems tres appealing to me. Not so much Brad yet, but if I could convince him that there are more teaching jobs there (in the suburbs...he'd never go for inner-city stuff), I'm sure he'd be more open to it. This living back in Eau Claire thing is still a bit to restrictive for me. As if I have never truly left college and am stuck.

P.S. I had a dream last night that I came to visit you so I could cook for you and nourish you back to health. I think I should look into flights.