Monday, December 31

go?

Over Thanksgiving, someone told me, "Maybe you need to grow up and get a real job this summer." I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Everything in me rails against that idea: the idea of sitting behind a desk (not that desks are all bad). I'm just starting to wonder, especially recently, if the real-job thing may not be how I'm made.

I go nuts in offices; I can't sit still in meetings; 9 to 5 makes me feel like I'm going to die; and I carry my passport constantly, just in case I *might* need it at the grocery store or standing in line at caribou.

It's probably an inverted life, but for the last several years, summers have been my chance to actually do the things I most want to be doing. The person I was talking with suggested these things are "playing" and are unsustainable. But, are they? I guess, that's my big question these days. I really want to meet with students, to do life with people who don't care about God, to join this revolutionary movement of love, in places that are dark. But--Is this sustainable as a way of life?

1 comment:

emmsy said...

i guess it depends how we define a "real job". who says people who have 9-5 desk jobs have 'real jobs', and people who travel and pioneer don't? i wrestle with this too. summers so far have been the times i've got away and done the stuff i love to do. maybe summer trips are meant to reawaken passions in us that we shut down during the year. maybe they are supposed to wake us up to what we should be doing year round.