I just had one of the best weeks ever. First, I'm done with the semester--as much as I like school (sometimes), it's pretty freeing to have a break. Also, I came back to chicago...which was like Heaven. Of course, the cubs are there, which makes any week great.
But, honestly, it was one of the first "road trips" I've taken where we didn't just plow through to get "there"--wherever "there" was. I rode home with a new friend from grad school, Bison, and we did plow through about the first 16 hours of driving (we drove straight with only three fifteen minute breaks, which was probably very bad for our hypertension...or whatever they say is bad when you drive for six hours at a time. Frankly, I was shocked my little car, sam, made it.) Despite the quickness of the first leg, the second leg of the journey was glorious--I took an entire week to drive the last six hours. I'll get to that part...
but first, the notable beginning. Bison and I attempted to leave three times, and I almost died. So, it all started about a month back. I knew the weather gets bad up in wyoming, so I bought cat litter (to stick under tires in case of being stuck) and then a shovel. The bad thing was that I put them both in my trunk. Little did I know that the shovel burst the cat litter bag. Anyway, so last week...Monday? I went downstairs to pack my car to go to Laramie to leave. My trunk was full of cat litter. This would not be so bad, but as I started to shovel it out, and use my hands to get it out, occasionally wiping my hand against my forehead, etc, I began to realize that my hands were starting to itch...and turn really red, and get these huge bumps... and then I looked in a mirror and my head was doing the same. I, apparently, am allergic to cat litter! Who knew? Well, eventually, I just covered the cat litter with a towel, packed the trunk and decided I would be on my way (with swollen hands and a swollen head). I tried the garage door opener once, then twice, then like for a half an hour, but couldn't get it to open. It turns out my garage door was broken. And not only was my door broken, but the hatch to get out wouldn't lift. So, I was quite literally stuck in my garage.
So, speed ahead, after prying myself out and while part of my head was still abnormally large and bumpy, that night Bison and I find out ice storms are supposed to hit the midwest, so we don't drive...So I leave wyoming to go back to colorado... which is fine for about 30 miles, but then, the ice storms which were supposed to hit the midwest hit us! So, long story short, I spent the next three hours, driving 30 miles, through the mountains, cliffs on both sides, in a sheer whiteout. It was horrifying. At one point, I almost drove off the cliff (on accident, of course), but suddenly--this is the almost dying part--a truck came from the other direction, and in his lights, I saw where I was driving.
So, we got snowed in twice more, and finally drove and arrived in illinois...
So, the good part--I stayed with a dear friend for several days and bummed around her house, and we read out loud and laughed and ate good food and generally had the best time I've ever had. And then I saw some other friends, who are dear people, and we ate waffles and pizza together and drank lots of coffee. I can't tell you how good this was for my soul--seeing a lot of the people who most make me who I am. But also--it's so different for me. I tend to just plow through things, "get to the end before I can relax" sort-of-girl. It was a really different way of life...I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but who knew that the stops along the way were the trip itself?
I have only done this one other time. My friends Kerri, Shane and I took a road trip in college, and stopped in funny towns--like Plain, Wisconsin--and once, completely accidentally, found ourselves standing on Frank Lloyd Wright's grave...
Anyway, I'm not sure what Frank has to do with anything, other than to say, I think this trip is somehow part of turning over a new leaf.
1 comment:
Plain! I still have the picture somewhere.
Glad to hear you made it out of the mess alive! Heck, if you're in the mood for more traveling, come to EC while you're at it - we would love to show you our little nest!
Post a Comment