Thursday, December 24

dust

I am allergic to dust. Well, I don't know this for certain, but it seems about 98% likely. Whenever I clean/sweep and whenever I come to my parents' house, I get horribly stuffed up. Yesterday, I was at my parents' house and cleaning (lethal combination, especially two days before Christmas.) I could hardly sleep I was so congested.

My parents, all in all, have a pretty clean and dust-free house. The culprit is my old bedroom. The problem, I think, is that no one ever stays there besides me (my brother's old room is a nicer guest room) during the six-to-nine-month intervals between my visits. Also, my room has become our house library since I left--huge wall-length/height bookshelves. I, being a nerdy English person, like this of course, despite the fact that my parents and I have highly different taste in books. Either way, when undisturbed, books and bookshelves especially collect dust. You can't just vaccum them, either. But, I think it's more than that--something with the vents...they blow dust out, even though we've cleaned them.

It's really a dilemma. Last time I was back, my dad dusted beforehand, but I think he did it right beforehand. I could see dust floating all over the air when I went to put my suitcase in there. Perhaps this is a reminder from on-high not to spend too much time lounging around my old bedroom...and kick in the pants to get out, instead, and go have adventures.

No comments: