Friday, September 4

katy trail



I am at that point in the semester (well, who am i kidding? i always feel this way) when all i want to do is get outside. In Wyoming, this was easy. There was all sorts of great hiking really close--the snowies, happy jack, vedavoo--and lots of people who really love the outdoors. This is one of the great benefits of living in the West. Also, even if I couldn't find anyone to come with me, Wyoming has hardly any people and is pretty safe, so after awhile (I was coming from Chicago, mind you), I felt just fine venturing out on my own.

I think that's my ideal life: living somewhere where people love getting outside. In Eau Claire, where I went to college, there was a little hiking and there were a couple of good trails that led right into town. The upside was that there were lots of people who were up for taking 15--even 20--mile runs with me on those trails. So far, Columbia feels like Eau Claire. There's one trail leading into town (the Katy Trail--it's mostly for biking) and otherwise, most of the hiking's a couple hours away. Also, I still don't know how safe or not safe hiking will be here, and I need to figure that out.

There are a couple of running PhDs, but no hikers (so far). The catch right now is that I can't run. I'm feeling somewhat better, but certainly not good yet (and I basically have no muscles--which is what being sick for 7 or 8 months does to you, I suppose.) And so I've been perplexed at what to do. I'm already trying to convert some people into being hikers, but in the meantime, I haven't gotten outside at all.

So, as a temporary solution, I've decided to start biking. I'm a horrible--and I mean truly horrible--biker. I can't figure out gears; I stand up when I want to peddle harder; I walk up all hills. (As a proof: my senior year of college, I got in a pretty bad bike accident in....biking gym class. Impressive huh?) But, since it seems that the only trail in town is a biking trail, I can't run and I know noone who is interested in hiking, let alone wants to drive two hours to get somewhere to hike, I think it's my only option.

I bought a bike helmet and am borrowing my brother's old bike and have determined that this weekend I will go trail biking. I will let you all know how my first real venture back on a bike goes.

The above photo is from a friend on one of my last days hiking in Wyoming (just a month ago!) If only Wy were a bit closer.

No comments: