Monday, September 7

day off

lately, i've been trying to start all these new routines. i thought a big cross-country move would be the perfect opportunity to start doing stuff I've wanted to do but haven't:

1. read a new book every week
2. take one day off per week
3. file stuff
4. memorize poetry
5. stick to a writing schedule

You wouldn't think these goals would be that hard. So far, 1,3 and 4 are going well. Per 1, I don't want to devour books, but I do need to broaden my literature scope if I want to teach. So far, I've read some Didion, Berry and Sedaris. I hate filing (hate), but I've been doing it--I've filed about 1/4 of my papers. The memorizing poetry's been sporadic but fun--usually at breakfast (when I remember to eat breakfast.)

I still haven't decided whether 5 is good or bad. So far, I think it's actually meant I've been writing less. So we'll see--I'm going to think on that one.

Finally, 2--I had no idea it would be so hard to take a day off. In Colorado and Wyoming, I lived for days off, but I knew exactly what I would do on a day off: go hiking in the summer/fall, snowshoeing in the winter and eat at my favorite restaurants (sweet ms, mostly) all the time. In Chicago, I went to the city a lot (cubs games, indian food, exploring new neighborhoods) or cooked big meals with my friends and drank wine on our porches. Now, I'm somewhat perplexed as to what one does with a day off when they live near neither a city nor the mountains. Hmm.

No comments: