Saturday, April 25

mystery diagnosis

well, not so much diagnosis happening. the long and short of it's that i've been sick since january, increasingly sick, but vaguely sick too--tired way too much, really wobbly weak legs and arms (my doctor says i have the arm strength of a large ant.), lots of losing weight and getting sick in the middle of the night. i even (embarrassingly) lost half my eyebrows! oh heavens.

Anyway, we've tried all sorts of tests: mono, thyroid, diabetes, hypoglycemia, anemia, celiac (I feel like I could almost be a doctor, knowing all these terms.) We've put me on and taken me off 5 medicines & currently, i'm not supposed to eat citrus fruits, dairy products, alcohol, caffeine, tomatoes or anything greasy or spicy.

after all this, it turns out I'm one of the healthiest people I know. all my blood tests are great, fantastic in fact (which, all in all, is a good thing, i suppose.) i even have the right vitamin counts. but as to what's making me sick: huge mystery. my mother suggested lyme's disease this week, which I think we're going to look into. we're also trying out some adrenaline tests.

it's really quite strange, being on a first name basis, not only with my doctor & the two lab assistants, but also all of the nurses (every single one.) ridiculous. i think they must think i'm the biggest basketcase (or headcase) ever.

the upside, besides knowing that beyond feeling sick, i'm a quite healthy person, is that I got a few weeks off work for all this. this week, i only left my house three times: twice to get jimmy johns subs (one food that doesn't make me sick)& once to go to the post office. otherwise, i've read a lot of harry potter & sat on my porch a lot. what a strange life.anyway, i hope we figure this all out soon. but for now, i guess i'll enjoy the time off as best i can.

3 comments:

The Goodfellas said...

oh no beth! :( i'll be praying for you. sounds kind of scary. i hope they figure it out soon!!

Mark and Anne said...

Bummer!! I have to say that I've dealt with very similar symptoms...and have also had every test known to man done...all coming back with perfectly normal results! I don't have any super encouraging words because I've dealt with this since I was 8...happy news is that it comes and goes, so I don't always feel this way. I have found over the last 20 years though, sleep is definitely my best friend! I can feel bad when I do sleep enough (8 hours at night and a nap several days a week), but lacking sleep can definitely be a trigger. I really hope you feel better soon. And if your doctors miraculously find something...let me know!! ;)

Anne

B said...

thanks for the posts, Anne & Jenny (& prayers!) Anne, I had no idea you had similar stuff going on: it's quite awful. but thanks for the advice (i've been finding sleep is necessary too) & it's good to know a friend who's braved similar symptoms! they started me on some medicine to try to take care of the fatigue & weakness, but it makes me super dizzy. so i'm not sure which is a worse evil. hmm...i should give you a call, i'd love to chat.