So it's been a couple of weeks, er...months, since I posted. Wherever did the time go?
I just returned from a few weeks spent in Puerto Rico, traveling with a class. I enjoyed some parts of it a lot--but also realized I'm a bit of a travel snob...by that I mean, I've realized I don't really enjoy traveling with a lot of Americans. (well...I guess maybe it depends on the Americans.)
It was a strange few weeks as I still have tons to plow through before the end of the semester--and I was in a (sort of) foreign country with 13 people who I had little in common with. I made a friend or two, and saw some really great stuff, but this trip made me stop and really think about why travel.
In most of my more recent travels, I've been going places with the real goal of intentionally doing life with the people where I have gone--and have been staying at least a month or so. In Puerto Rico, I didn't meet any Puerto Ricans. It was weird and I wished I had. I found myself thinking, what's the point if we don't get to know any people here?
No comments:
Post a Comment