I'm at my folks' house for a couple weeks & trying to continue project make room. It turns out I have a lot of stuff: a LOT of stuff. There's everything that's in my Missouri house--an amount which is decreasing and simplifying, but would still take a trailer to haul anywhere. But I also have stuff here. I'm not entirely sure why this year I've suddenly felt the need to simplify all this stuff, but I'm going with it. Generally, I've actually felt lighter and freer and better as I've been working through the process. So I'm taking that as a good sign to keep moving forward.
About 2.5 years ago, I lost something like 35 pounds (due to getting really sick, then on the upswing, figuring out my metabolism had been way out of whack for awhile.) As you'd imagine, 35 pounds is a pretty significant switch in clothes sizes. Though I've been slowly acquiring new clothes for awhile, I was still storing a lot of my old sized clothes at my folks' house. Well, finally this week, I got rid of the last of them (save two or three things.) It feels both liberating and also nerve wracking. I keep asking myself, what if, 5 years from now, my metabolism gets out of whack again? But I've finally settled that I don't want to be the sort of person who plans my life around what ifs. (Well, and I assure myself I can easily jump back on my old fatigue meds, which I'm hoping is true...well, & that 5 years from now, I'm probably not going to want to wear these clothes anyway!)
The next thing on the docket for me is books. I've been having a hard time with that. I absolutely love books (obviously, I'm an English PhD.) But some of the books I own, I don't even like. But should I keep them just to keep them? Because I like having a full library? Because they're part of the canon or may come up someday when I may or may not be teaching? So, we'll see what happens there.
And in honor of making room, here's a video that has nothing to do with making room. In fact just the opposite. The one growing thing in my life is my music library (a fact I'm totally fine with.)
No comments:
Post a Comment