Saturday, July 24

obsessive apartment hunting

Well, I'm not in the market for a new rental apartment this year and I'm certainly not in the market to buy a house, but I've become an obsessive real estate searcher. It's horrible really, but every time I get on the computer, I scout out what apartments have appeared on craigslist in the last seven or so hours since I last checked. I also have all sorts of for-sale houses scouted out in Columbia (and I've even thought of ways I might update each one: knock a wall out, convert an attic...)

It's not that I don't like the place I'm living, but I just have an itch to move! Last year, though, I signed a two-year lease (only way to get my house--and it is a nice house, especially for the price) and I certainly don't have enough money to buy a house (nor do I want to own a house in Missouri.) I've already invested way too much money in the rental property I'm in (painting, fixing trim and some walls, decorating) and certainly can't afford to throw any cash at another (well, maybe a little paint, but that's it!)but I'm so ready to move.

I can't put my finger on what this all comes from, exactly. It's rare, I guess, that I've stayed anywhere two years in a row since high school. I was in my colorado house two years, but I was hardly home and it was so new that everything felt done and sort of like a little sanctuary. But besides that, I've moved practically every year for the last ten years. Maybe it's just routine.

No comments: