Saturday, June 12

norway, take four

Once again, I am back in Norway (and texting this entry.). It's been really lovely so far. All sorts of strange and great things have been happening. So far, we've camped at the bottom of the boyabreen glacier, spent a few days with good friends in skjolden (my old stomping grounds) and had a long weekend in Spain! We've been in Bergen the past two nights, thankfully, because it's freezing! (I knew I was in for it when we I woke up halfway through our train ride north and the ground was covered in snow.). I've had some good time to research and write, but also time to clear my head--which is something I hadn't sat down to do, basically since I got sick a year ago. So far, the trip's been a real blessing.

The best part of the trip though is that we keep landing in all sorts of strange coincidental meetings. It started with a woman from Spain-Patricia--we met her in the airport in Barcelona. Then, we happened to be on the same plane and the same bus with her to catch a train to Oslo. Well, the train broke down--so the three of us, along with 3 people from Poland ended up stuck at this random Norwegian railstop with no attendant, no close town and no one who spoke Norwegian. Alas, the train company eventually gave us all a free cab ride (65 miles!). Well, it turns out Patricia was also on our next train to Bergen and pretty much since then, we've been crossing paths.

After the train incident, we ended up missing our boat to the next town--so we got on a different boat (where we met another new friend--Luke from south Africa.). The boat dropped us off on a car ferry (strange) and it just so happens, on that ferry is a couple we'll later stay at a three-roomguesthouse with in Bergen--Sue and Brian from the uk. After the car ferry, we then ran into sue and Brian on a glacier then on a bus (mind you, these places are six hours apart.)

the story could go on, but strangest of all, yesterday I met a girl from the US and it turns out I was her camp counselor, twice (when I was 21)! Now she's 21...crazy

I'll write more soon if I can!

No comments: